Castor Oil (Wonder Tree, Ricinus Communis, अरंडी के तेल, गन्धर्वतैल):
Almost all parts are used.
Bio-Chemically: It consists of ‘Rinocleic Acid’, ‘Oleic Acid’, ‘Linoleic Acid’, ‘Omega 6 Fatty Acids’, Vitamin E, ‘Minerals’, and, ‘Proteins’.
Properties: It is Sweet and Pungent. Virya is Hot and Vipaka is Pungent. V-PK+ Affects all tissues. Heavy to Digest.
Indications (Used in): Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Viral, Anti-Fungal, Anti-Microbial, Anti-Inflammatory. Demulcent, Analgesic, Nervine, Purgative (Drains Duodenum), Swelling; Fruit is useful for enlarged liver and Spleen; Bark is useful for Nervous Diseases, Rheumatism & Sciatica; Applied to joints, relieves pain; Seed Poultice is used to get the boils to burst; Very beneficial in irritable Bowels and Debilitated Adults and Children, Inflammation, Lubricates the passage for soft discharge of faeces.
Few Medicinal Uses:
This may be used as Decoction, Infusion, Poultice or Paste.
- Cleaning Stomach Toxins and Constipation (Including Chronic):
- After your Early Dinner, Take a hot cup of water, add 1-2 teaspoons of Castor Oil. Do this Remedy Twice or Thrice a week, depending on the severity of ailment. You may do this morning empty stomach also.
- Castor Oil (V-PK+) with Dried Ginger (VK-P+):
Take a glass of Water, Add a teaspoon of Dried Ginger (सोंठ), Boil the Mixture till water becomes 3/4th, Remove it from fire and add 1-2 teaspoons of Castor Oil.
Do this morning empty stomach (After your empty – Stomach Lukewarm water), Twice or Thrice a day, depending on the severity of the ailment.
Seeing the Properties of the components of this mixture, we may easily infer, the mixture should be avoided by patients having Vitiated Pitta Condition, in which case a different type of combination is advised (Boiled Milk + 1.5 Teaspoons of Desi Cow Ghee + A Pinch of Black Pepper, before going to sleep).
- Add 2 tea-spoons of castor oil to a glass of hot milk and drink before going to sleep.
A drop in each eye during conjunctivitis. Also, is effective for good-thick eyebrows.
- Skin Care (Dry, Burns, Ringworm, Warts, Itching, Acne, Boils, Including Chafed Lips, Skin Ulcers-Sores): Apply Topically. Mix this with your facial pack, or when applied directly, gives a smooth and shining skin. May also be used as an after shave! Is also useful in cases of Cracked Nails!
- Hair Care (Hair-Loss Prevention and Lustrous Hair): Apply this to your scalp, do a gentle massage, let it be for some time before you take shower.
- Castor – Enema: (Indicated in Vata Disorders, including Arthritis and Sexual disorders. This is beneficial, even in cases of Cancer) Castor Oil Enema should not be done empty stomach. Insert approximately 100mL of Castor Oil, using Enema Kit into the Rectum. The temperature should be Lukewarm, a bit above the room temperature. Keep the left leg straight and the right one bent. The Nozzle is inserted approximately 2 ½ inches. Retain the oil for as long as you may do it comfortably (Minimum 20 minutes). Finally evacuate.
Take it as a general rejuvenate and may do twice a week, just once. Though plain water or Trifala decoction may be used for regular enema, this is not the case with castor oil. Castor oil has a strong action and hence can’t be used on regular basis for enema.
This is contra-indicated in cases of Cough/Cold, Diabetes, Under effect of Poisons/Toxins, Excess Obesity and so on…
Contra-Indications: Contra Indicated for Kidney, Bladder or G.I. Tract Infections.