Asafoetida (Ferula Foetida, Ferula Asafoetida, Asafoetida Resin, हिङ्गु, हींग): (V- P+ K-) It Pacifies Vata & Kapha but May Vitiate Pitta. It is bitter and pungent in taste, ‘Virya (Potency, by which it acts on the body, during its stay in the body)’ is Hot, and ‘Vipaka, The Post Digestive Effect, after its interaction with The Body Enzymes)’ is Katu (Pungent). Due its peculiar smell, bitter and pungent taste, also called Devil’s Dung.
Quote the Scientific name (or Just Asafoetida) and you may easily avail ‘An Homeopathic Alternative’, from An Homeopathic Shop.
Bio-Chemically, it consists of Gum, Useful Volatile Oils (Mostly Ferulic Acid, which gives it so many medicinal Values), Fibres, Proteins. It is a Rich Source of Calcium, and also consists of Traces of Iron.
Medicinally, it is Anti-Pathogenic (Anti-Viral-Bacterial-Tumorous-Anti-Cancerous…), Nervous System-mental Disorders (Schizophrenia, Hysteria, Paralysis, Convulsions, Sedative…), Anti-Inflammatory (Knee-Joint Pains, Spasms, Sciatica, Colic Pains…), Respiratory System Disorders (Expectorant, Chronic Cough-Dry & with Sputum, Bronchitis, Pneumonia…) and Abdominal System-Digestive Disorders (Bacterial Infection-Cholera (Due Infected Water-Leads to Vomiting-Diarrhoea…), Indigestion, Flatulent, Constipation, Liver Damage-Hepatotoxity…), Circulatory System Disorders (Bad Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Atherosclerosis…)…
Few medicinal benefits:
- Nervous System-Mental Disorders:
- Hysterical Fits-Convulsions: Add to vaporiser-inhale vapours and/or add a pinch to a Tsp of Jaggery and have it twice daily,
- Sciatica: A Pinch with a Teaspoon of Jaggery and/or A Pinch, each of Asafoetida, Pushkarmoola & Nirgundi Churna fried with Desi Cow-A2 Ghee twice a day,
- Bone Health (Bones-Joints-Muscle-Knee Pains including Sciatica-Nerve Pain):
- Fry a Pinch of Asafoetida in Liberal amount of Pure Desi Cow-A2 Ghee, and have it Once-Twice a day,
- A Pinch of Asafoetida, added to double the amount of Pushkarmool, taken with Nirgundi Decoction,
- Male a Decoction with 1-3 Pinches of Asafoetida & have it Twice a day,
- Circulatory System Disorders:
- Low and High Blood Pressure: Simply sprinkle a small amount to your meal preparations (Lunch and Dinner),
- Digestive System Disorders:
- Indigestion: Sprinkle a Pinch or Two to a Ripe Banana and have it Daily Morning,
- Flatulent, Dyspepsia, Intestinal worms: Take a Pinch of Asafoetida, ½ Tsp each of Carom Seeds (Ajwain) & Vidanga (विडंग) Powder & add all three to a glass of warm water & have it twice a day,
- Opium Ingestion: Eat Asafoetida now in the same proportion!
- Plan a heavy Meal ahead! ½ Tsp ‘Hingwashtak Churna (Powder)’ ½ an hour before meals,
- Metabolic Disorders:
- Kidney problems: Add 1-3 Pinches of Asafoetida Powder, 1-2 Tsp of fresh Ginger Juice, a Pinch of ‘Sendha Salt’ & ½ – 1.5 Tsp Desi-A2 Cow Ghee to a glass of Hot Water & Have it Daily Morning before breakfast,
- Flavouring Agent-Other Kitchen Use:
- Dissolve it into Hot Black Sesame or Mustard Oil & Pour Drop by Drop to Dishes,
- Roast it in Desi Cow-A2 Ghee & use it as an ingredient in preparing pickles, soups, vegetables and pulses.
Contra-Indications, Side-Effects of Heeng-Asafoetida (Don’t consume Raw Heeng):
In excess may cause Nausea, Heartburn-Burning Sensation or Even Diarrhoea… Since it increases ‘Pitta’, it should be used with caution in cases of Hyperacidity, Hypertension, Red Skin Rashes, Ulcers, Haemorrhage, Piles etc. (i.e. The ‘Pitta’ vitiated ailments). Also, Heeng-Asafoetida is Contra-Indicated in Pregnant & Breast feeding Women (May aggravate Pitta-Vitiate Breast Milk).
Test of pure Heeng:
Adulterated Heeng will sink and settle in a glass of water. Pure Heeng, leaving sediments, will completely dissolve in water, forming milky liquid. Pure Heeng is inflammable.