Calamus-वचा-Vacha-Bhadra-Acornus Calamus (Sweet Flag, Ugragandha, VK-P+):
It is Bitter, Pungent and Astringent. Virya is Warm-Hot, Vipaka is Pungent. Initially, in low amounts, Pacifies Vitiated Pitta, inducing a drop in Body’s Core Temperature. “Vacha” actually means to ‘The Speech Clear-Clearer’.
Bio-Chemically: It contains Phytochemicals like Alpha-Asarone, Beta-Asarone, Eugenol and so on… Β-Asarone (Essential Oil, is Sedative & present in high concentration in Calamus) has shown to be effective in Repairing Cognitive Impairment due Alzheimer’s etc. Calamus also has high percentage of D-Galacturonic Acid & large number of Volatile Oils. As per few studies Calamus interacts-stimulates Gamma Aminobutyric Acid in our brain region [supposedly our first natural defence against Stress-Anxiety-Related Disorders.
Medicinally: It is Anti-Microbial (Anti-Bacterial [Even Relieves Syphilis], Anti-Parasitical [Expels Stomach-Intestinal Worms], Anti-Fungal, Anthelmintic [Expels Parasitic Worms]), Immune-Metabolic System Booster (Blood-Plasma Purifier, Shock Patients), & has positive-useful effects on “Almost all Body-Tissues” & Digestive System (Emetic, Carminative, Laxative), Circulatory System (Decongestant), Respiratory System-Oral Health (Laryngitis, Expectorant, Hiccups, Upper Respiratory Tract Infection, Asthma, Anti-Stammering, Teething Issues in Children), Excretory-Reproductive System (Aphrodisiac), Neural-Bone Marrow Disorders (Nervine Tonic, Rejuvenate-Makes Mind Sharp & Intelligent, Enhances Cerebral Circulation, Coma Patients [Given as Snuff], Epilepsy, Insanity, Anti-Convulsant, Cleanses Subtle Channels, Neuralgia, Paralysis, Alzheimer’s, Schizophrenia, A Best Mind Herb), Bone Health (Anti-Inflammatory, Antispasmodic, Arthritis [Acute]), Liver & Kidney Stimulant (Diuretic, Removes Toxic effects of Marijuana from Liver & Brain)…
How may we consume Calamus-वचा-Vacha-Bhadra-Acornus Calamus?
- Calamus Essential Oil (Mostly Derived from Calamus Root),
- Calamus Tea: Add a Tsp or Two to ½ a glass of water, boil till water remains half, add Jaggery to taste (Minimal amount of Milk if you need to), your Calamus Tea is ready…
Few Medicinal Benefits of Calamus-वचा-Vacha-Bhadra-Acornus Calamus:
- Fevers (Mild): Ayurvedic Smoking with Calamus Powder,
- Cholera (Severe Bacterial Infection of Small Intestine, Caused due Contaminated Water, Causes or May cause Severe Diarrhoea & May even be Fatal): Add a Tsp or two to a Litre of water, Simmer-Boil till water remains 3/4th, Store & have ½ a cup of this 2-4 times a day. Do not strain the mixture & warm it before drinking every time. To cater to the increasing heating effect-heartburn if any, liberally add A2 Milk,
- Immune-Metabolic System Booster:
- Fatigue-Feeling Low-Dizziness: Roast-Burn a Tsp or Two of Calamus Powder & Inhale the Smoke,
- Digestive System:
- Indigestion (and/or Anorexia): Decoction with ½ Tsp Calamus Powder 2-3 Times a day,
- Respiratory System-Oral Health:
- Cough-Whooping Cough: Roast few Tsps. of Calamus Powder on a Copper-Iron utensil, store the powder, take 1-3 Pinches of this Powder with a Tsp or Two of Honey Twice/Thrice a day and/or add a Tsp to Boiling Water & inhale vapours,
- Sore Throat: Suck a small Calamus Root (It is also Sialagogue-Stimulates secretion of Saliva),
- Asthma: Decoction with 1/3rd-½ Tsp Calamus Powder & 1/3rd Tsp Liquorice Powder 2-3 Times a day,
- Infected Oral Cavity: Use Root Bark as Dental Powder,
- Bone Health:
- Joint-Muscle Pains (Arthritis): Mix a Tsp or Two of Calamus Powder with (Melted on Hot Table-Spoon) 2-4-6 Tsp of A2-Pure Desi Cow Ghee, apply it on affected parts & let it be covered for overnight (for days-till it gets better). Do not expose the covered-aching parts to cold-fast blowing air. Cover well and let the parts sweat overnight, and/or Add drops of Calamus Essential Oil to double the amount of Castor Oil & apply on affected parts,
- Skin & Hair Health:
- Wounds (and/or Ulcers): Sprinkle Calamus root Powder on affected parts and/or Use Decoction to wash wounds-ulcers,
- Acne & Pimples: Make a Paste of Calamus & Rice Powder with A2-Desi Cow Milk, apply it in affected areas twice a day, wash it off with lukewarm water after some time,
- General Hair Health: Make a Diluted Paste with a Tsp of Vacha Powder & 2-5 Tsp Coconut Oil, apply on Hair-Scalp, wait for some time, wash it off with Lukewarm water,
- Neural Disorders-Nerve Health:
- Autism: 1/4th Tsp Calamus Root Decoction Twice a day (Other Useful Herbs for Autism would be Ginger, Gotu Kola Leaf (Brahmi), Gingko…),
- Amnesia-Memory Loss-General Nervine Tonic: Add Pinches of Calamus Powder & a Tsp of A2-Pure desi Cow Ghee to a glass of Boiled A2 Milk before going to Sleep and/or 1/3rd Tsp each of Calamus and Brahmi Powder with a Tsp or Two of melted A2 Ghee & a Tsp or Two of Rock Candy every morning empty stomach,
- Stammering: Add 1-3 Pinches of Calamus Powder to a Tsp of Honey & apply onto the Tongue-Oral Cavity 3-4 Times/Day and/or ½ Tsp Calamus Powder Decoction twice a day [Add a Tsp or two of Honey],
- Smoking Addiction: Chew-Suck a small piece of Calamus Root every time you feel a crave to smoke (It might be bit Nauseatic),
- Home Flies-Insects-Mosquitoes, Woollen Moths: Sprinkle at Home and/or add a Tsp or two a bucket of water for floor mopping; For Woollen Clothing Bind some Calamus powder in porous cotton cloth to be kept within “Woollen Clothing”,
Contra-Indications: Not to be used with a bleeding nose, haemorrhoids etc. Excess use may Vitiate Pitta (Such as High BP). Otherwise, do not Take Large doses at One Single Time. Have a Break of 1-2 Weeks after you have taken The Medicine for 1.5-2 Months. Pregnant ladies to definitely avoid Calamus Essential Oil. There has been lot of hue and cry on percentage of Beta-Asarone in Calamus, we really don’t need to worry as concentration of same found in Indian Region is almost none! Anyway don’t consume more than ½ Tsp a Day.
Legal Disclaimer: The information in this article is not a Medico-Legal advice. Use it at your own risk. Although I do my best to give you accurate and useful information, you should consult an appropriate Medical Professional before Trying out any of the above Information.