Cardamom (Elettaria Cardamomum, एला in Sanskrit, इलायची in Hindi):
(VPK=) It is a ‘Tridosh Nashak’, and pacifies all the three doshas. (P+ especially for large cardamom).
It is Pungent and Sweet in taste. ‘Virya’ is Cooling. ‘Vipaka’ is Sweet. It is Light and Penetrating.
Bio-Chemically, it consists of Natural Fibres, Proteins, Calcium, Traces of Iron and Acetic Acid.
Medicinally, it is Carminative, Digestive (Relieves Flatulence), Diuretic, Anti-Emetic, Anti-Spasmodic, Aphrodisiac and Expectorant Agent.
Few medicinal benefits:
- Appetite Loss, Indigestion, Vomiting, Distension:
Add 1/4th teaspoon of Cardamom Powder to a glass of water, and boil for a minute. Add Honey to taste and drink sip by sip.
- Dry Cough:
Take the peel off the 4-5 of them, roast and then powder them. Add it to a teaspoon of Desi Ghee and add Jaggery to taste. Have this twice a day.
- Bad Breath, Mouth Ulcers and Inflammation:
- Prepare a Decoction with 4-6 crushed Cardamom and a pinch of roasted Alum (Phitkari, in Hindi).
- For toothache, simply apply Cardamom Oil on affected parts.
- Chest Congestion – Heart ache:
Take Cardamom and Long Pepper Powder in equal quantities (say, 1/4th teaspoon or lesser) and have it with Pure Desi Cow ghee (say, 1 teaspoon).
- Emaciated Condition, General Weakness, Convalescence (Recovering from Sickness):
Take 2-3 crushed Cardamom, 5-7 Peeled Almonds (Immersed Overnight in Water), a Teaspoon of Gur (Jaggery) and 2 Teaspoons of Desi Cow Ghee (Melted on a Heated Metal Spoon). Take this mixture, Empty Stomach in the Morning for a Period of 3 weeks.
Contra-Indications: Ulcers, Conditions of High Pitta, especially for Large Cardamom.