Carom Seeds (Carum Copticum, Trachyspermum Ammi, Ajamoda in Sanskrit, अजवाइन in Hindi (V- P+ K-):
It is Bitter and Pungent in Taste. ‘Virya’ is Warming. ‘Vipaka’ is Pungent. It is Light, Dry and Sharp-Penetrating. It Pacifies ‘Pitta’. Its odour is due presence of a Volatile Oil, called Thymole (‘Sat Ajwain’).
Bio-Chemically, it consists of a very essential oil ‘Thymole’, and many more essential oils, Glycosides, Resin Acid, Palmitic Acid, Oleic Acid, Vitamins & Few Elements in Traces.
Medicinally, it is a wonder herb for Stomach Related Ailments, Anti-Colic, Great Anti-Spasmodic, Analgesic, Diaphoretic (Produces Sweat), Carminative, Anti-Spasmodic, A Good Blood Cleanser, Diuretic (Produces Urine), Normalises Uterus Functions, Effective Remedy for Dysmenorrhea – Painful Menstrual Cycle, Kidney Stones etc.
Few medicinal benefits:
- Digestion Related Issues: It is a kind of antacid and prevents/cures indigestion.
- Add 1 Teaspoon to a Glass (or ½ a Glass) of Butter Milk and have it After Lunch.
- Add a Teaspoon each of Carom Seeds and Cumin Seeds, Boil the Two in a Glass of Water and Drink/Eat with Jaggery or Honey.
- Colic Pains, Gastritis, Indigestion:
- Take 2 teaspoon each of ‘Carom Seeds’, and ‘Dried Ginger’, and powder the mixture fine. Add a pinch of Sendha Salt (or, rock salt) to the powdered mixture. Add 1teaspoon of this mixture and mix it up with ½ a glass of hot water. Drink like tea. Have such a dose every 3 hours (4 times a day).
- Cough & Cold (Phlegmatic Blockage):
- Chew a teaspoon of Ajwain and have a glass of hot water above it. Do this 2-3 times a day.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ‘Ajwain- Carom Seeds’, and 1/4th Teaspoon of Turmeric to ½ a Glass of Water. Boil and Cool the Mixture. Add Honey to Taste. Consume it.
- Steaming is good for Cough, Cold & Congestion, Now add 1-2 Teaspoons of Carom Seeds-Ajwain to the Same Boiling Water, while you are Inhaling Steam.
- 1 teaspoon of Carom Seeds-Ajwain Powder + Powdered 2-3 Cloves + pinch of ock Salt: Add this Fine Mixture to a Glass of Boiling Water and Drink like Tea.
- (Phlegmatic Blockage): Mix 2 Teaspoons of Fine Carom Seeds Powder to a Glass of Butter Milk and Drink (With-After Lunch-After-Noon).
- Urticaria (Red Itchy Patches), Skin Allergy:
- Mix 1 Teaspoon of Carom Seeds – Ajwain Powder and 1 Teaspoon of Jaggery, to a cup of hot water. Do it 3-4 times a day.
- Asthma / Bronchial Infection:
- Add a Teaspoon of Ajwain to 2 Teaspoons of Gur or Jaggery, and eat it. Have it Twice a Day.
- Take a teaspoon of Ajwain Powder with a glass of hot water.
- Chronic Fever:
- 1 Teaspoon of Ajwain-Carom Seeds + Paste of 10-12 Geloy Leaves: 1 Teaspoon of This Mixture + 1 Teaspoon of Honey makes One Dose, which is to be taken 2-3-4 times a Day for Few Days.
- Gout, Arthritis, Joint Pains:
- Massage with Carom Seeds Oil.
- Hangover after Excess Liquor:
- A Teaspoon with Hot Water.
- Bad Breath, Bleeding from Gums, Other Dental Problems:
- After Meals take a Teaspoon with Warm Water.
- Massage your Teeth-Gums with Carom Seeds Powder twice a Day.
Ajwain may also be Procured-Consumed in the form of Ajwain Ark.