Cumin Seeds-जीरा–Cuminum Cyminum (Preferable black cumin seeds; Don’t worry, if Black Jeera is not available, normal white Jeera also has more or less the same properties!) (जीरण [Which actually means Digestion], जीरा) (V-P+[In Excess]K-):
It is Dry, Bitter & Pungent (Slightly) in taste. It is also Light (To Digest) & Sharp (Penetrating), ‘Virya-Potency’ is Hot & ‘Vipaka (Post-Digestive Effect)’ is ‘Pungent’.
Bio-Chemically, Cumin Seeds (Jeera) is rick source of Proteins, Vitamins (B2, B3, B6, C, E, K…), Carbohydrates & Minerals (Good source for Iron, Calcium, Manganese, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium, Copper, Zinc…). It is a rich source for Phenolics (Such as Bio-Organic Chemical Thymol-Great for Pancreatic Functions-Secretions), Flavonoids, Alkaloids, Essential Amino Acids, Phytochemicals (Such as Cuminaldehyde, which makes it Aromatic) & Fatty Acids. It also has Essential Volatile Oils. Remember, Potassium is present in much larger amounts as compared to Sodium & hence may be used as an antidote for Sodium…
These all, in various researches, have shown to be good for Body metabolism and have positive effect in fighting variety of Chronic Ailments (Including Cancer, Tumours, Diabetes, Liver health and more…!).
Medicinally, Cumin Seeds-जीरा–Cuminum Cyminum “Kills Infections-Pathogens (Anti-Viral, Anti-Bacterial, Such as effective against Eczema, Eliminates Intestinal Worms, …)”, “Stimulates Metabolic System (Obesity, Blood Cleanser, Chronic Dysentery, Haemorrhoids, Stimulates Pancreas Enzymatic Secretions, Anorexia, …)”, “Tones Digestive System (Stimulates Jathar-Agni-Digestive Fire, Gastric Disorders, Carminative, Anti-Colic, Diarrhoea, Indigestion, Abdominal Distention, Nausea…)”, “Anti-Inflammatory”, “Stimulates Excretory & Reproductive Systems (Diuretic, Galactagogue, Urinary Stasis, Kidney-Gall Bladder Stones, Painful Urination, White Blood-Pus Cells in Urine, Cleans up Reproductory Organs after Pregnancy…), “Tones Skin (Presence of Vitamin-E)“, Neural Disorders (Studies have reported to relieve Stress-Presence of Vitamins (B2, B3, B6…), Bio-Organic Molecule ‘Melatonin’!) . It is a Bitter Tonic! Please use it more liberally in your Meal Preparations.
How we may consume Cumin Seeds-जीरा–Cuminum Cyminum:
- I have always liked them raw, hand-ground sprinkled on Butter-Milk (or Pulses-Daal or Vegetable…) or Curd (Very rarely) or just a Tsp swallowed with plain glass of water,
- Chewing mildly roasted Cumin Seeds,
- Cumin Seeds Water (With Slight Variation, this could also imply Decoction or Cumin Seeds Tea)…Put 2 Tsp Cumin Seeds to a Glass of Water and Boil till water remains 3/4th or ½. Strain-Filter the solution & enjoy the clear Cumin Water (Balance the Potency by adding ½ a tsp of A2 Ghee),
- Medicinal Cumin Seeds Water: Take/Mix (& Finally Manually Stir) Two Tsp of Roasted Cumin Seeds, a Tsp of Pounded Mint Leaves, a Tsp of Dried Mango Powder (Amchur), 6-10 Tsp of Jaggery, a Pinch (or Two) of Asafoetida (Heeng) & 2-5 Pinches of Black Pepper” to about 1.5-2 Litres of Water. Add Black Salt (2-5 Pinches) & Freshly Cut Lemon Juice to Taste. Enjoy the Drink-Cumin Seeds Water.
Few Medicinal Benefits:
- Gonorrhoea: Tsp of Black (or White) Cumin Seeds Powder + 2 Tso Jaggery Powder Twice a Day,
- Fevers: Hand Ground equal amounts of Cumin, Coriander & Fennel Seeds. Store it in a Glass container. Take a Tsp and add it to a cup of water. Simmer-Make Decoction till water remain half & drink it Thrice/Day (You may also add ½ a Tsp of A2 Ghee to this),
- Immunity Booster: Add a Pinch or Two of Dry Ginger to a Cup of Cumin Seeds Tea-Decoction & have it Once Daily,
- Metabolic Disorders:
- Weak Digestive Fire: Have ½ a Glass of Cumin Seeds (or Medicinal Cumin Seeds) Water 30-60 Minutes before Meals for few days,
- Nausea-Lack of Appetite During Pregnancy: Add Cumin & Dried Coriander Seeds (Sukha Dhaniya) to about a Glass of Water & Boil till water remains half; Strain-Filter & Drink; For Nausea add a Pinch of Nutmeg Powder to a Cup of Cumin Seeds Tea & Drink 2-3 Times/Day,
- Increase Appetite (Minimal Desire to Eat): A Tsp of Mildly Roasted (Hand Ground it after Roasting & Add a Pinch or Two of Long Pepper-Pippali) with a large Cup of Water ½ an hour before Meals,
- Hiccups: Ayurvedic Smoking! Roast Cumin Seeds in A2 Ghee…Inhale The Smoke…Through Nose Only,
- Digestive Disorders:
- Indigestion: Same…Cumin Seeds + Jaggery; Just firstly avoid water with food or only ½-1 cup of warm-hot water; Chew ½ a Tsp each of Mildly Roasted Cumin Seeds & Fennel Seeds Twice a Day,
- Diarrhoea: A Tsp of Raw Cumin Seeds with ½ a Glass of Warm Water every 2-3 Hours 3-4 Times/Day (+1/2 Tsp Carom Seeds, Pinch or Two Each of Black Salt & Dried Ginger),
- Constipation: Chew ½ a Tsp of Raw Cumin Seeds,
- Excretory-Reproductory System Disorders:
- Kidney-Gall Bladder Stones: Tsp of Black (or White) Cumin Seeds Powder + 2 Tso Jaggery Powder Twice-Thrice a Day with a Glass of Warm water,
- Body Ache-Inflammation-Muscle Spasms: Tsp of Black (or White) Cumin Seeds Powder + 2 Tso Jaggery Powder Twice-Thrice a Day with a Glass of Warm water…
No known Contra-Indications, as long as it is used in appropriate amounts in Meal Preparations or Raw. Excess intake could lead to Pitta Vitiation (Gastritis, Heartburn, Drying of Intestinal Tract-Belching…). Chronic consumption could also lead to ‘Liver Damage, Abortion-Miscarriage (Thus taken with caution by Pregnant Ladies), Drowsiness, Menorrhagia, Hypoglycaemia, Low Milk Production for Lactating Women…). Again Cumin Water should be avoided more than twice a day.