An ideal Enema Procedure would/should look like:
- The whole of Enema Procedure should be done in a comparatively warm atmosphere,
- An appropriate Basti Dravya (Enema Fluid) is prepared,
- Patient is advised to clear out his/her system (Evacuate Bowel-Bladder),
- Patient is given Abhyanga (Full Body Massage) or over Abdomen-Buttocks-Thighs-Pelvic Region,
- This is then followed by mild Sweating-Swedana,
- Let the patient now lie towards his/her left lateral side,
- A lubricated nozzle, approximately 3-4 inches, is inserted into the rectum, after the air has been expelled from the enema bag (Filled to 3/4th level). Fluids are slowly released into the colon. Some liquid is left in the bag to prevent air from passing into the rectum,
- Keep the whole procedure including releasing the fluid very slow, retain the fluid for 15-60 minutes as appropriate, evacuate. Specifically, Unctuous (Oil Based) Enema could be retained in the body for Upto 9 hours as advised and Niruha (Non-Unctuous- water based) is held in the body for 48 minutes.
Enema Decoctions used for various Disorders-Vitiated Doshas:
|Legs, Thighs, Shoulders, Neck||Vidari Kand, Guduchi, Haritaki, Ginger…|
|Sciatica, Urinary Problems, Hunchback||Guggul, Shatavari…|
|Vata Vitiated Disorders||Bala, Punarnava, Guduchi, Shatavari, Dashmula…|
|Pitta Vitiated Disorders||Vasak, Katuka, Manjishta, Sandalwood, Mushta, Liquorice…|
|Kapha Vitiated Disorders||Trifula, Neem, Rock Salt, Vacha, Pippali, Bilwa…|
If some obstruction is there, small amount of oil is entered into the body first.
If Oleation (Internal & External), Sweating Therapy, proper diet, and elimination of stool (By Purgatives like Hot Milk + Ghee or Castor Oil), have not been done properly, one may experience heavy limbs, colic, abdominal distention, difficult breathing, or heavy intestines.
Herbal Decoction Cleansing Enemas are followed by Oil Enemas (1/2 cup of sesame oil + ½ cup of warm water). This balances all three Doshas.
Other thing that I should mention here is that ‘Moong Pulse (Mudga Green Gram, Green Mung Bean) Water’, is a very good option to be used as Enema Solution, especially for Pitta, Raqta and Worm Related Infections.
Comparison of Purgation and Enema:
Though Purgation eliminates Impurities from Body, it may cause uneasiness, belching, nausea, unpleasantness and griping due to ingestion of drugs (which mostly would be pungent-sharp-hot…in cases such as for indigestion). Moreover, the children and the old persons are unfit for purgation because they have not gained sufficient strength of Dhatus and have their strength diminished respectively. In these cases non-unctuous enema alone is the best therapy which serves all the purposes. It quickly provides strength, complexion, exhilaration, softness and unction in body of the persons. Mostly, Enema is unsuitable for people who have undergone excess Oleation therapy, diabetes, pregnant women of the seventh month and many more specific cases as mentioned in the previous post.
The above information is not a Medico-Legal advice. The information above is not intended to diagnose-treat-cure… any disease and you may use the above information at any/which way at your own risk and with own responsibility.