Fenugreek Seeds – Maithe Daana (Trigonella Foenum-Graecum, मेथिका in Sanskrit,
मेथी in Hindi) (V- P+ K-):
It is Bitter and Pungent in Taste, Light and Unctuous (Oily). ‘Virya’ is Hot. ‘Vipaka’ is Pungent.
Bio-Chemically, it consists of Diosgenin (relates to Sexual Hormones). The leaves consist of Proteins, Carbohydrates, Vitamins (Vitamin B6) and Minerals. It is a Natural Source of Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorous, Silicon, Sodium and Thiamine. The seeds have many Alkaloids, Phytonutrients and Different Oils.
Medicinally, it Enhances Body Metabolism (Optimizes Liver Bile Flow), Controls Blood Sugar Levels, Promotes Lactation both in Women and Cows, and Heals Inflammation of Digestive Tract. Its Green Leaves are mainly Digestive (Relieves Indigestion), Appetizer, Anti-Flatulent, Mildly Laxative and Anti-Inflammatory. The Leaves & Seeds both are Anti-Microbial, Anti-Oxidant, Anti-Diabetic (Blood Cleanser), Anti-Inflammatory (Joint-Pains – Body-Ache), and Anti-Viral. Provides relief from Nausea. It is also useful in cases of Hepatomegaly (Abnormal Enlargement of Liver). Fenugreek Seeds – Maithe Daana have great Hypoglycaemic and Hypolipidemic Properties.
Fenugreek Leaves have ‘Cool Potency’, ‘May be safely consumed by Pitta Personalities’. These have better Carminative, Anti-Inflammatory, Antacid and Digestive Action.
Few medicinal benefits:
- Digestive disorders:
- Take ½ a tea spoon of seeds, add it to a glass of water, prepare decoction (water remains half) and drink. It expels gas from the body.
- High Blood Pressure – Diabetic patients:
- Soak ½ – 3/4th teaspoon of Fenugreek Seeds – Maithe Daana in a glass of water overnight. Next Morning, drink this as your Morning Empty Stomach water, and then eat-chew up the seeds also.
- Use Fresh Fenugreek Leaves in your Soups & Salads.
- The Same Treatment, is also applicable ‘Quality of Breast Milk’, ‘Cases of LDL-VLDL-Triglycerides’, and so on…
- Heart – Care:
- Same Treatment as mentioned under High BP, and Have Fenugreek Tea, once or Twice daily.
- Fenugreek Tea: Put 1 Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds to a ½ a Glass of Water; Boil for 5-6 minutes; Strain the Mixture; Add a Teaspoon or Two of Jaggery; Drink it like Tea.
- Constipation, Indigestion, Stomach Pain, Gastritis, GERD:
- Take a cup of Fenugreek Leaves, add it to a glass of water, Boil the Mixture till water remains 3/4th or lesser, Cool the Mixture to Lukewarm level, Add a Teaspoon or Two of Pure Honey. Have such a Decoction twice a Day for few days.
- 1/4th Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds Powder + 1/3rd Teaspoon Trifula: Take this mixture with a glass of warm-Lukewarm water before going to sleep.
- Fenugreek Leaves Vegetable is also effective.
Caution has to be observed in case of Pitta related ailments and by Pitta personalities. These people may dip it overnight, before consuming it the next day, Powdered form is definitely not advised, for High Pitta Cases.
It is also best avoided Prior Surgery and before-During Surgery.