Garlic-लहसुन–Allium Sativum (उग्रगन्ध, लशुन, सितलशुन, लहसुन, Ayurvedically it is called a Maha-Aushadhi-A Super Medicine) (V- P+ K-):
It consists of all the five tastes at the same time, i.e. It is Sweet, Salty, Bitter, Pungent and Astringent (except Sour). It is Unctuous, Heavy and Sharp. ‘Virya’ is Hot. ‘Vipaka’ is ‘Pungent’. Part used is Bulb (Cloves) and Oil. It has positive effects on all Body Tissues.
Haritaki is its Spiritual Substitute.
Bio-Chemically, Garlic-लहसुन–Allium Sativum is an excellent source of Proteins (Including various Enzymes), Vitamins (A, B1, B2, B6, C, E, K). Carbohydrates, Minerals (Calcium, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Potassium, Phosphorous, Selenium, Sodium, Sulphur, Zinc…), Various Useful Bio-Organic Compounds (Allicin=>Diallyl Disulphide (Sulphur Rich), Flavonoids, Phytonutrients such as β-Carotene…). It should be kept in a container with good air circulation. Refrigerating it ruins its properties. Clay container is scientifically the best.
How may we consume Garlic?
- Raw (Just that or finely cut added to a cup of hot water; Another great habit is to chew a Clove or Two of garlic after Meals),
- Cooked in Oil (Mustard or Sesame or Coconut Oil),
- Paste (Including usage in Coriander Paste-Chatney),
- Garlic Milk: Take A2 or Toned Milk and Water in the Ratio 2:1 and add/mix Minced 1-5 Cloves of Garlic. Add 1-3 Pinches of Turmeric. Simmer the Mixture (Preferable in an open clay Utensil!) till it comes to approximately half. Strain the mixture and add 1-3 Tsp of Organic Sugar (or Better Crushed Rock candy). Sprinkle 1-3 Pinches of Coarse Black Pepper. The drink is better served hot (and as per Health/Ailment, ½-1 Tsp of A2-Desi Cow Ghee may also be added. This is highly beneficial as/for “Anti-Microbial-Anti-Cancerous Agent (Tumours, Cancers, Abscesses, Anti-Venomous-To be taken immediately after Bite…)”, “Circulatory-Cardiovascular System Disorders (Clears Heart Blockages & Strengthens it)”, “Digestive System Disorders (Reverse Peristalsis, Constipation…)”, “Respiratory System Disorders (Boiled with 1-3 Pinches of Turmeric) (Persistent Cough, Lung TB, Pneumonia…)”, “Stimulant for Liver and Kidney (Fatty Liver, jaundice…)”, “Bone Health (Arthritis-Rheumatism…)”, “Reproductory System Disorders (Impotence, Erectile Dysfunction, Infertility, Galactagogue…)”, “Neural Disorders (Insomnia, Migraine, Paralysis, Sciatica, Ageing…)”,
- Garlic and Honey: Add/Mix 2-3 cloves of Garlic to 2-3 Tsp of Pure Honey & add fresh lemon juice liberally (We have our ready to Eat Elixir ready). This is highly beneficial as/for “Anti-Microbial Agent (Anti-Viral-Bacterial-Fungal, Expels Intestinal Worms…”, “Circulatory-Cardiovascular System Disorders (Clears Heart Blockages & Strengthens it)”, “Digestive System Disorders (Chronic Diarrhoea…)”, “Respiratory System Disorders (Cough, Cold, Throat Infections-Inflammations, Asthma…), “Reproductory System Disorders (Impotence [Garlic-Honey and/or Garlic Cloves Cooked/Fried with Desi Cow-A2 Ghee; Two Never to be Taken Together]. Nightfall [Garlic-Honey and/or Chew a Clove of garlic before going to Sleep)”
- It Blends well with Various Spices & as per Medical Condition one may be facing, one or more of following may be added/taken along with garlic: Black Pepper, Cardamom, Carom Seeds, Coriander Seeds/Leaves, Cumin Seeds, Dry Ginger/Fresh Ginger, Turmeric (Again as per the Medical Condition, The Aushadhi-Medicine may be taken with Ghee/Honey, as appropriate. Finally, whatever – howsoever you consume garlic (alone or with other spices), do top it up with Hand Ground Black Pepper for much better results.
Medicinally, Garlic-लहसुन–Allium Sativum is great for Most (if not all!) Human Processes, such as Immune System-Anti-Microbial (Enhances Immunity, Anti-Viral, Anti-Bacterial (Even to Resistant-Stubborn Bacteria), Anti-Fungal, Regular consumption has been reported to prevent formation of [Brain] Cancer-Tumour Cells), Metabolic-Circulatory-Cardiac Systems (Regulates Enzymatic Secretions-Hormones in the Body, Stabilises Blood Cholesterol, Sugar, Hypertension, Lowers Serum Triglycerides, Regulates Blood Platelets, Obesity, Atherosclerosis-Cardiac Stimulant, Anti-Thrombotic, Increases HDL…), Digestive System (Carminative-Removes AMA, Anorexia, ), Respiratory System (Expectorant, Cough-Cold, Bronchitis, Asthma…), Bone Health (Muscle Aches, Headaches, Arthritis, Gout (Arthritis caused due deposition of Uric Acid in Joints), Helps Healing of Fractures…), Brain-Neural Systems (Improves Memory-Retention & Cognitive Abilities, Alzheimer’s, Sciatica, Paralysis…), Excretory-Reproductory Systems (Diuretic, Aphrodisiac, Sagging Breasts…), Skin Health (Acne, Warts, Wrinkles, Leucoderma…), Kidney & Liver Stimulant (Liver Damage-Fatty Liver, Spleen Disorders-Splenomegaly (Abnormal Enlargement of Spleen)…
And thus we see, it is useful in most Vata & Kapha disorders, and for Pitta Disorders one ideal way to consume it would be to take it with A2 Ghee (Slightly Cooked) or A2 Milk…It has different medicinal properties when eaten raw, or when eaten cooked in oil or ghee, and hence, it should be consumed different forms.
Few medicinal benefits of Garlic – लहसुन:
- Anti-Microbial, Anti-Inflammatory:
- Add drops of Garlic Juice to Clove Oil (Get it Right Here!) and apply on inflamed areas;
- As a regular practice, few poked cloves of garlic (or just few drops) may be added to the oil (Preferable Black Sesame or Mustard) being used for Body Massage ( Oleation (Snehana) Therapy),
- Painful Rheumatoid Arthritis: Fry 2-4 finely cut cloves of garlic in a Tsp of Desi-A2 ghee and have it before lunch and dinner,
- Intermittent Fever-Weakness: Garlic Milk.
- Metabolic Disorders
- Blood Cholesterol, LDL, VLDL… (Including Thrombosis): Finely crush 2-4 cloves of Garlic, mix it up with 2-4 Tsp of Pure Honey and after some time have ½-1 cup of warm water. This “Thins the Blood” & “Also Dissolves Blood Clots”.
- Digestive Disorders
- Indigestion, Stomach Spasm…: Garlic Milk (1-2 Hours after Dinner),
- Diarrhoea, Cholera, Colitis…: Add fine paste of 3 cloves of Garlic to a glass of Butter-Milk and have it with or after your Lunch (only!),
- Reverse Peristalsis: Garlic Milk,
- Oral Disorders (Pyorrhoea, Gums Swelling, Bad Breath…): 3 Tsp Honey + 2-5 Finely Crushed Garlic Cloves Twice/Day.
- Respiratory System Disorders:
- Rhinitis (Associated with TB & Others): Make fine paste of 2 Cloves of garlic, add a Pinch of Long Pepper-Pippali and have it with a cup of Hot water after meals,
- Cough-Cold-Sore Throat-Pneumonia: 1-3 crushed cloves of Garlic with ½ a Glass of Hot Water,
- All Kinds of Cough (With-Without Sputum): To a Glass of Pomegranate Juice (Moring Only!) add crushed 2-5 cloves of Garlic,
- Whooping Cough: Daily Morning Empty Stomach “Few Almonds Dipped Overnight + 1-3 Fresh Garlic Paste + Some Rock Candy: few times a Day.
- Ear Ache-Other Ear Disorders (Deafness-Wound-Pus…): Finely Cut 1-5 Cloves of garlic and slightly cook in 10-30 mL of Black Sesame Oil with few Pinches of Dry Ginger (Saunth) added, Store It, Put 1-2 Drops in affected Ear Twice/Thrice a day.
- Skin Health:
- Skin Ulcers: Apply a fine paste of 3-5 Cloves of Garlic on affected areas 3-4 times a day,
- Baldness-Bald Scalp: Apply Fresh Garlic Juice Twice a Day,
- Eczema, Ringworm, Even Cancer/s & Leucoderma: Garlic Milk and apply externally on affected areas.
- Neural Disorders:
- Paralysis, Epilepsy, Convulsions: Garlic Milk 2-3 Hours after Dinner and also have it Morning Empty Stomach (This one is Beneficial for Vaginal Disorders also); Make a fine paste of 1-2 Cloves of Garlic, Mix it up with 1-2 Tsp of Back Sesame Oil & Ingest it Twice a Day; Make an Epileptic Patient smell Freshly-Fine Cut Garlic Paste,
- Hysteria: A drop or two of Garlic juice to Each Nostril,
- Coma: 1-2 Drops of Garlic Juice into ‘The Mouth Cavity’ Twice a Day.
Contra-Indication: As it is Hot and Sharp, it’s Best Avoided or Taken in Minimal Quantities by ‘Pitta’ Personalities/Disorders (Haemorrhoids, Menorrhagia…). Its excessive use may cause Nausea-Vomiting, Acidity, Diarrhoea, Urticaria, Skin Blisters (Applying Garlic Oil over a Period of Time), Episodes of Respiratory Spasms, Heartburn and Bleeding Disorders. Daily dose should not exceed 3-5 cloves. Coriander seeds powder may be added to cater to its typical odour (Though Coriander Seeds also aggravate Pitta in Excess). Cooking it in ghee also takes care of its pungency (won’t add to Pitta) and odour.
To use or not to use the information provided is entirely your responsibility. I do not assume any responsibility for any effects due healthcare provided based on above. Do your own research before you use any of above…