Garlic (Allium Sativam, उग्रगन्ध, लशुन or सितलशुन in Sanskrit, लहसुन in Hindi) (V- P+ K-): It consists of all the five tastes at the same time, i.e. It is Sweet, Salty, Bitter, Pungent and Astringent (except Sour). It is Unctuous, Heavy and Sharp. ‘Virya’ is Hot. ‘Vipaka’ is ‘Pungent’. Part used is Bulb (Cloves) and Oil. It has positive effects on all Body Tissues.
Bio-Chemically, it consists of Proteins, Carbohydrates, plenty useful Secondary Metabolites and Sulphur Containing Compounds, which give it its typical odour & vast healing properties. In addition, Garlic is an Excellent Source of Manganese, Selenium and B Vitamins. In Addition, it also consists of Calcium, Phosphorus & Iron.
Medicinally, it Stabilises Blood Sugar, Enhances Immunity and Improves Circulation. It lowers Blood Cholesterol, Hypertension. It Stimulates Digestive System. It is Carminative, Cardiac Stimulant, Aphrodisiac, Expectorant, Analgesic, Diuretic and Anti-Oxidant (Enhances Production of Anti-Oxidant Enzymes in the Body). It is useful in conditions of Anorexia, Arthritis, Paralysis, Headache, Sciatica, Leucoderma, Disorders of Spleen and Many Respiratory Disorders. Regular consumption Lowers Serum Triglycerides, Various Blood Cholesterols and Balances Blood Platelets. It increases HDL, and enhances clearing and Breaking Down of the Blood Clots. It is Very Helpful in Heart Related Ailments also. It is Anti-Inflammatory, Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Viral, and helpful even in cases where the drugs have become resistant to specific bacteria. Has great ‘Anti-Kapha’ properties, and hence is very useful in Fighting Obesity. It is best to Consume it Raw, or Lightly Cooked in Food. Regular Consumption prevents Cancer Formation in the Body. It has different medicinal properties when eaten raw, or when eaten cooked in oil, and hence, it should be consumed in both forms.
Caution: As it is Hot and Sharp, it’s best avoided or taken in minimal quantity by ‘Pitta’ personalities (Say, avoid it in Haemorrhoids, Menorrhagia…). Its excessive use may cause Acidity, Urticaria, Skin Blisters, Episodes of Respiratory Spasms and Bleeding Disorders. Daily dose should not exceed 3-4 cloves. Coriander seeds powder may be added to cater to its typical odour. Cooking it in ghee also takes care of its pungency and odour.
Ayurveda gives it a name of ‘Maha Aushadhi’.
Few medicinal benefits of Garlic – लहसुन:
- Digestive Disorders (Kapha Accumulation in Stomach, Indigestion, Stomach Spasm…): Bake 3-4 Pieces of Garlic in Pure Desi Cow Ghee, Crush-Make Paste, Mix it up in a glass of Pure Desi Cow Milk, Have it before going to sleep, and also Morning, Depending on Severity of Ailment. If using Double Toned Milk, take it only before Bed Time.
- Diarrhoea, Cholera, Colitis: Make a Paste of 3 Pieces of Clove, add-mix it up in a glass of Butter-Milk, and have it with or after your Lunch (only!).
- Oleation Therapy (Body massage): Add few cloves (poked) of garlic to hot oil, being used for massage.
- Painful Phases of Rheumatoid Arthritis: Fry 3-4 cloves of garlic in a teaspoon of Desi ghee, and have it before lunch and dinner.
- Blood Cholesterol: 3 cloves a day, morning empty stomach, followed by a glass of warm water. Also, this way, it Thins the Blood, and Dissolves Blood Clots.
- Reverse Peristalsis, Abscess, Cardiovascular Diseases, Sciatica, Excessive Weakness and Intermittent fever: Take 4-5 garlic pieces, make it into a paste, add to it 100-150 mL of Desi Cow Milk, Add 4 times the water; Prepare a decoction, Boil It, till the time the quantity remains 100 mL; Filter it and consume.
- Skin Ulcers: Take 3-4 pieces of garlic, make a paste and apply externally on the affected area, 3-4 times a day.
- Take 3-4 pieces of garlic, make a paste, add it to 200mL of Desi Cow Milk (Or Double Toned Milk!) and have it daily morning empty stomach. This also takes care of the Vaginal Disorders.
- Crush 1 ½ Pieces of Clove, Mix it up in a Teaspoon of Back Sesame Oil, Ingest it
- Coma, Convulsions: 1-2 drops, dropped into The Mouth Cavity Twice a Day.
- Rhinitis (Associated with Tb & Others): Take 2 Pieces of Garlic, Make a Paste, Add a Pinch of Long Pepper–Pippali to this Paste and have it with ½ a cup of Hot Water, after meals.
Amazing Benefits of Taking Garlic & Honey Together: Finely cut 2-3 cloves of Garlic and grind it up together with 2-3 Tsp of Pure Honey (Organic-Non GMO Bees & 0% Sugar Added), we have our ready to Eat Elixir ready (One may also add freshly cut lemon juice liberally). Benefits are:
- Complete relief from Cough & Cold (Including Throat Infections-Inflammations),
- Strengthens Circulatory System (Clears Heart Blockages & Strengthens it),
- An Effective Detoxicant,
- Relieves Chronic Diarrhoea…….
It should be kept in a container with good air circulation. Refrigerating it ruins its properties.
Haritaki is its Spiritual Substitute.