Ginger-अदरक-Zingiber Officinale (आर्द्रक-Fresh Ginger, शुण्ठी-Dry Ginger, अदरक, V- P+ K-):
Ginger is available in two forms: Fresh & Dry Ginger. Both forms are Pungent & Mild Bitter in Taste. Dry Ginger is Light (to Digest), Unctuous & Moistens the Tissues. Fresh-Raw Ginger is a bit heavy to Digest & is Drying (Absorbs Water-Moisture from Digestive Tract). Potency is ‘Heating’ (for both) & Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect) is Pungent for Raw-Fresh Ginger & Sweet (Madhura) for Dry Ginger.
Bio-Chemically, it consists of Essential Volatile Oil (Gingerol) and many other Essential Bio-Chemicals. It is high in Dietary Fibre, High Source for Many B-Complex Vitamins. It is a high source of Manganese, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc, Potassium, Phosphorous and Calcium. It is a good source of Beta-Carotene. A Phytonutrient ‘Gingerol’ is Anti-Microbial & a Strong Anti-Inflammatory Agent. Please remember ‘Fresh Ginger’ has much more of ‘Gingerol’ and is hence much more effective as an Anti-Microbial & Anti-Inflammatory Agent.
[Beta-Carotene is a Pigment, which gives Vegetables-Fruits, their rich colour; Human Body converts Beta-Carotene into Vitamin-A]
How may we consume Ginger?
- Fresh Ginger (Grated or Juice) (With Rock Salt (Sendha Namak) Pacifies Vata; With Gud-Jaggery Pacifies Pitta, With Honey Pacifies Kapha) ,
- Dried Ginger (Saunth-Shunthi) (With Honey even Better at Pacifying Kapha,
- Ginger Tea (or Ginger-Turmeric Tea) [Add “1-3 Pinches Each of Turmeric & Dry Ginger and Crushed 1-2 Cloves” to ½ a Glass of Water; Simmer till water remains Half, Add Jaggery to Taste, If you Relish (Like Self) add ½-1 Tsp of A2 Ghee & Drink),
- Ginger Tea (Variant): Boil 1/3rd Tsp Dry Ginger & Tsp or Two of Jaggery with a Cup of Water, Simmer it for some time, add Tsp or Two of Lemon Juice (To Taste), Enjoy The Tea,
- With Delivery Agents (With Honey or Mildly Cooked/Roasted with A2 Ghee or Pinches of Dry Ginger cooked with Milk),
- Grate fresh ginger to your fruits, salads, vegetables…
Medicinally (Both), Ginger-अदरक-Zingiber Officinale is Anti-Microbial (Anti-Viral-Bacterial-Fungal& is good for Metabolic System (Stimulant, Diaphoretic, Blood Cleanser-Reduces Cholesterol, Clears AMA from System), Digestive System (Stimulant, Carminative, Dyspepsia [Indigestion, Heartburn, Nausea, Belching, Abdominal Pain…], Sialagogue [Produces Saliva], ), Circulatory System (Heart Health, Blood Cleanser…), Respiratory System (Cough, Cold, Asthma, Anti-Phlegmatic…), Bone Health-Anti-Inflammatory (Rheumatism, Osteoarthritis, Anti-Spasmodic, Muscle Inflammation, Body Aches …), Excretory-Reproductive System (Aphrodisiac), Skin Health (Urticaria…), Liver Stimulant, Excretory & Reproductory System (Aphrodisiac-Especially Dry Giger, Blood in Urine, Dysmenorrhea-Painful Menstruation, Erectile Dysfunction…), Neural Disorders (Anxiety, Palpitations, Dizziness, Insomnia, Rejuvenating-Vata Vitiation…Especially Dry Ginger)…
Few Medicinal Benefits of Ginger-अदरक-Zingiber Officinale:
- Metabolic Stimulant:
- Diaphoretic-Induces Sweating: Add a Tsp of Fresh Ginger Juice to ½ a Glass of Ground Fenugreek Seeds Decoction, as it cools, add Honey to Taste (Never Heat Honey),
- Appetiser: Few small pieces of Fresh Ginger sprinkled with Rock Salt,
- Liver Stimulant (For Jaundice): 1-3 Pinches of Dry Ginger with a Tsp or Two of Jaggery Twice/Thrice a day,
- Blood Cleanser: Simply few Pinches of Dry Ginger added to a cup of Hot Water clears AMA from Body (Relieves Mandagni (Low Digestive Fire), IBD…),
- Digestive System:
- Diarrhoea: Gently Massage Naval with few Drops of Fresh Ginger Juice,
- Painful Bowels-Abdominal Pain: 1-3 Pinches of Dry Ginger with Castor Oil in the Ratio 1:2 with a Cup of Warm Water; and/or Dry Ginger Powder and Asafoetida taken in equal quantities with a Cup of Warm Water,
- Indigestion: Fresh Ginger Juice, Lemon Juice & Rock Salt taken in equal quantities with ½ a cup of warm water just before meals, and/or Pinches of Dry Ginger with a Cup of Hot Water (Preferable a Tsp of A2-Desi Cow Ghee added),
- Bloating-Abdominal Colic Pain: Buttermilk with a Pinch of Black Salt & few Pinches of Dry Ginger with Lunch,
- Nausea: A Tsp each of Ginger, Lemon & Onion Juice,
- Respiratory Stimulant:
- Cough-Cold-Sore Throat (Fever-Body Ache): Add few pieces of Fresh Ginger, Tsp of Cinnamon (Dalchini) Powder, 2-3 Hand Ground Small Cardamom & 8-10 Leaves of Holy Basil (Tulsi) to a Glass of Water. Boil-Make Decoction till water remains half & drink it like tea; Mix Fresh Ginger Juice & Honey in the ratio 1:2 & have it slowly,
- Asthma: Finely Cut 1-3 Cloves of Garlic added to Garlic Tea (Variant); Pinches of Dry Ginger added to warm-hot Mustard oil & applied onto chest (Relieves pain-congestion-breathlessness…),
- Earache: A drop or two of dilute dry ginger juice to each ear,
- Anti-Inflammatory Agent (Anti-Inflammatory Properties are Enhanced by adding Pinches of Cinnamon):
- Arthritic Pain: Use Ginger (Dry) in your Meal (or a Pinch after meals) Preparations; Add a Pinch of Turmeric to Dilute Dry Ginger Paste, Warm it a bit, apply it on Affected Areas (Inflames-Paining Areas), Add Few Drops of Ginger Essential Oil to your Bathing Water,
- Headaches (Nausea, Indigestion…): Dilute Dry ginger Paste applied over Forehead; ½ a Tsp of Fresh Ginger Juice with Tsp or Two each of Fresh Lemon Juice & Honey,
- Swelling (Insect Bite-Sting): Paste of Dry Ginger & Yogurt topically applied on affected areas,
- Excretory & Reproductory System:
- Blood in Urine: 2-5 Pinches of Dry Ginger boiled with a glass of A2 or Desi Cow Milk 1-2 hours after Dinner,
- Hydrocele-Scrotal Swelling: Add a Pinch of Salt to few mL of water and make a Paste with Dry Ginger & apply on affected areas to reduce pain and swelling,
- Haemorrhoids: 1-3 Pinches of Dry Ginger with Tsp or Two of Jaggery Twice/Thrice a Day,
- Brain Fever (Leading to Stupor-Delirium-Senselessness): Burn the mixture of Soanth (Dry Ginger), Black Pepper and Pippali, taken in equal quantities & Inhale The Smoke thus formed,
Contra-Indication: As it is Hot and Sharp, it’s Best Avoided or Taken in Minimal Quantities by ‘Pitta’ Personalities/Disorders (Haemorrhoids, Ulcers, Hyper-Acidity, Menorrhagia…). While using fresh ginger, it may be advised to use a Pinch or Two cardamom to cater to its drying property. As Ginger is a Blood Thinner, it is best discontinued days before Surgery of any kind.
Legal disclaimer: The information in this article is not a Medico-Legal advice. Use it at your own risk. Although I do my best to give you accurate and useful information, you should consult an appropriate Medical Professional before Trying out any of the above Information.