Liquorice-मुलेठी–यष्टिमधु-Glycyrrhiza Glabra (V- P- K+):
The ‘Root-Bark’ is used in our kitchen and also is a curative herb. It is Bitter & Sweet in taste. It is Unctuous and Heavy. ‘Virya’ is Cooling and ‘Vipaka’ is Sweet. It is Native to Europe and Asia. It Pacifies Vata & Pitta. Even though it increases Kapha (In Higher Doses), but its Pharmacological activity reduces adhesive force/s of dirty Kapha, loosens dirty Kapha & hence makes its removal from the system easy. The leaves along with Bark are also effective as an anti-microbial agent. It effectively moistens the Dry Vata.
Then again, excess of everything is bad. I was going through an article (from literally big-supposedly authentic source) that use of Black Liquorice could have adverse effect on hear Functions-I mean Excuse me!! It has been in use for 1000’s of years, but yes it is literally very economical!!!
Bio-Chemically, it is a rich source of Fructose, Polysaccharides, high source of Minerals (Such as Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium …), Vitamins (Vitamin B-Complex), Useful Bio-Chemicals such as Choline (An Essential Micronutrient), ‘Adrenal Cortical Hormones (Increases Bio-Availability of Cortisol, a Stress Hormone necessary for Good Metabolic-Immune System)’, Bioflavonoids [Responsible for Plant’s Deep Pigmentation & are good Anti-Inflammatory agent, such as Glabridin is a good Anti-Inflammatory agent], Polyphenols (Bio-Organic Compounds necessary for Metabolic System, are Anti-Inflammatory & Anti-Microbials such as Coumarin & Stilbenoids), Phytoestrogens (Good for Endocrine System), Bio-Organic Aromatic Ethers [Anethole], Amino-Acids [Such as Asparagine which has Moistening-Soothing Effect on Skin], Triterpenoids (Necessary for Metabolic & Endocrine-Hormonal System of the Body). An ingredient ‘Glycyrrhizin’ has been reported to be Upto 50 times sweeter than Sugar itself! The Herbal Decoction is great for Enema.
Medicinally, it is Anti-Microbial (Wound Healer, Anti-Viral, Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Pyretic), Anti-Inflammatory & Bone Health (Osteoporosis, Arthritis, Gout, Reduces Swelling, Bone Fracture-Wound Healing) and is good for Metabolic-Digestive System (Immunity Booster, Adds to much needed HDL levels, Chronic Gastritis, Ulcers, Heartburn, Hyper-Acidity, Stomach Mucous Inflammation, Fistula-Haemorrhoids, Adrenal Insufficiency, Optimises Blood Pressure-Anti-Diabetic, Relieves Thirst & Exhaustion), Respiratory System (Expectorant, Sore Throat, Cough, Bronchitis, Tonsillitis, Asthma),Nervine Tonic, Skin Health (Skin Lustre, Eczema, Psoriasis, Hair-Loss), Reproductory System (Stimulant for Both-Males & Females, PCOS, Hormonal Balance, UTI’s, Galactagogue), Liver-Kidney Stimulant (Hepato-Protective, Jaundice, Hepatitis, Fatty Liver, Hepatitis B & C, Cirrhosis), Nervine Tonic (Brain Tonic, Rejuvenate, Sedative…), and may also be useful in ‘Prevention of Cancers & Reducing Cancer Pains (Including Mucositis [Post Cancer-Radiation Treatment effect which is Ulceration-Painful Inflammation of Stomach Mucous Linings]’…
How may we consume Liquorice-मुलेठी–यष्टिमधु-Glycyrrhiza Glabra?
- Bark Powder with Honey or Mildly cooked with A2-Desi Cow Ghee or with a cup/glass of lukewarm water,
- Yashtimadhu Ghrita (Available OTC-Over The Counter, or simply add ½-1 Tsp of A2-Desi Cow Ghee to The Decoction) or
- Liquorice (Yashtimadhu) Oil.
Few Medicinal Benefits of Liquorice-मुलेठी–यष्टिमधु-Glycyrrhiza Glabra:
- Digestive System:
- Mucous Formation: (It Dissolves Mucous) Take ½ Tsp Bark Powder with 1-3 Tsp Honey 2-3 times a day,
- Hyper-Acidity (Stomach Ulcers, Mucous Lining inflammation): ½ Tsp Liquorice Powder with 2-3 Tsp Honey Twice/Thrice a day; and/or ½ Tsp Liquorice Powder with ½ a glass of Coconut Water 2-3 times a day; and/or ½ Tsp Liquorice Powder with Geloy-Guduchi Decoction & a Tsp or Two of Honey; and/or Simply Liquorice Decoction Twice/Thrice a day,
- Oral-Respiratory Health:
- Sore Throat: Chew/Suck the Liquorice Root,
- Chronic Bronchitis (Other Respiratory Infections) (Specially for Smokers): 1-5 Pinches each of Liquorice Powder & Long Pepper (Pippali) with 2-3 Tsp of Honey 2-3 times a day; and/or Liquorice Root Decoction Twice/Thrice a day,
- Oral Health (Anti-Microbial): Use Liquorice Root Powder/Decoction as Toothpaste-Mouthwash,
- Excretory-Reproductory System:
- Leucorrhoea (White-Yellowish Vaginal Discharge), Hormonal Imbalance, PMS: Liquorice Decoction Twice/Thrice a day,
- Skin Health (Hair & Skin, Relief from Dark Circles/Shining Skin):
- Hair-Fall, Bitter Ends, Dandruff-Dry Hair, Hair Conditioning: Rinse-Massage your Hair/Scalp with Liquorice Decoction sometime before taking shower (Max. 3-4 Times/Week),
- Hair Growth: Apply a Fine Paste comprising of Liquorice, Bhringaraj & Amla Powder on your Scalp & say 20-30 Minutes after wash it of with Lukewarm-Cold Water,
- Shiny Skin (Dark Circles, Sun Damage, Pigmentation): Make a Face pack with Chopped Cucumber & Liquorice Decoction, Apply it on Face, After sometime wash it off with Lukewarm-Cold Water (Max. 3-4 Times/Week). The other possible Face Pack combinations could be Liquorice Bark Powder mixed with Honey or Raw Milk, or Rose Water or Henna,
- Neural Disorders (Rejuvenate):
- Brain Tonic: 1/3rd Tsp Liquorice Bark Powder with ½ a Glass of A2-DesiCow Milk Daily Night Before Sleeping (2-3 Hours after Early Dinner).
Contra-Indication: As it has high amount of Potassium, Kidney & Heart Patients may exercise caution. Otherwise also, please understand, it adds to Kapha, so obviously if taken in irrational amounts would definitely excessively increase Blood pressure! Or may even lead to Oedema! One study reported as to Low IQ levels for New-born (or even Preterm Labour) as a result of consumption of irrational amounts of Liquorice. But in Appropriate-Decent amounts, Liquorice- मुलेठी is a beautiful herb.