A Beautiful Herb Flaxseed-Linseed-अलसी- Linum Usitatissimum (Which means ‘The Most Useful!’) (V-P+K+) is also known by many other names such as Neel Pushpin, Blue Coloured Flowers and so on…From an academic point of view, The Herb-Herbal Plant has been in use & being cultivated for 5000+ Years (That would be Before 3000 B.C.!).
Properties-Ayurvedic Gunas: It is Bitter & Sweet in Taste. It is Unctuous, Heavy, Snigdha (Oily), Sukshma-Piercing-Easy to penetrate and Easy to Digest. Potency (Virya) is Hot and Post-Digestive Effect (Vipaka) is Pungent (Katu). It Pacifies Vata and may increase Pitta & Kapha, if taken in excess. Seeds contain ALA (Alpha-Linoleic Acid, Omega-3 Fatty Acid) which helps fight Cancers. It is Best Stored in a Cool, Dry & Dark Place, away from Sunlight.
Please Note that, as always, Ground Flaxseeds are Better Absorbed-Assimilated in the body & have much better Nutritional Properties.
Bio-Chemically: It has high concentration of Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Alpha-Linoleic Acid [ALA], Omega-3 Fatty Acid…), Antioxidants, Fibres, Rich Source of Vitamins (C, B-Complex-B1, B6, Folate…, E…), Proteins (Amino Acids Arginine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid…) and Minerals (Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc…). It is high in Antioxidants (Removes Harmful Free Radicals from The Body) and is a rich source of Bio-Organic Chemicals such as Polyphenols (Lignans, especially Secoisolariciresinol Diglucoside – SDG-Ref. Universities Research Papers & More!), Phytochemicals, Phosphatides (Major Component of Biological Membranes), Lipoproteins (Soluble Proteins, which assist in Transport of fats-Lipids in the Blood Plasma)…
As always, ‘The Ground Flaxseed’ would have much high nutrients than the machine powdered one.
Medicinally: It is an Immune-Metabolic System Booster-Endocrine-Metabolic Disorders (Anti Tumourous-Cancerous, Prevents spreading of Tumourous Cells; Obesity-Due high fibrous content, gives extended feeling of ‘Fullness’ & Reduces Diet, Diabetes), Anti-Inflammatory, Digestive System-Gastro-Intestinal Health (For Constipation-Laxative, Aids Intestinal Absorption of Nutrition…), Circulatory Disorders (Regulates Blood pressure, LDL, VLDL, Triglycerides, Arterial Inflammation [Due presence of ALA]…), Respiratory Health (Asthma), Bone Health (Mostly Due Presence of Omega-3 Acids such as Alpha Linolenic Acid) (Useful in Osteoporosis), Skin-Hair Health (Sun Burns [Many of Skin Products such as Shampoos, Sun-Screens-Moisturisers…contain Linseed Oil!], Wound Healing, Skin Rashes-Inflammation, Oily Skin-Acne-Pimples, Dry Skin-Dandruff, Psoriasis, Prevents Dry-Brittle Hair-Hair Loss-Baldness…), Excretory-Reproductory System-Hormonal Disorders (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), UTI’s…; Pre-Post-Menopausal Symptoms, Hormonal Balance in The Body, PCOD), Liver-Kidney Stimulant (Nephritis-Kidney Inflammation), Neural-Vata Disorders (Neuralgia, Paralysis, Abdominal Distention, Bipolar Disorders, Depression, Improves Mental Power-Intelligence…), May also Provide Protection against Accidental Exposure to Radiation-Radiation Therapy…
How May We Use Flaxseed-Linseed-अलसी- Linum Usitatissimum: It May be Safely Used Both Externally and Internally:
- Powdered-Hand Ground: Sprinkle Ground Flax Seed Powder onto your Fruits, Oatmeal, Cereals, Butter-Milk (Always try avoiding Curd as it is Heavy & Hot), Pastes, Wheat Bread (Chapattis), Pulses, Cereals, Vegetables, Salads, Soups, Your Hand Baked Products, Add a Tsp. to Night Milk (After Early Dinner) and more…,
- Oil (Preferable Cold Pressed): Add ½ a Tsp. to a cup of Lukewarm Water & Have it Once-Twice a day and/or Skin-Body massage 30-45 Minutes before Shower,
- Pills or Tablets,
- Decoction-Tea: Steep-Simmer a Tsp. with ½-3/4th of a Glass of Water & Drink and/or Add a Tsp. of Ground Flaxseed to a Cup of Jaggery-Lemon Tea,
- Infusion: Simply Dip a Tsp. or Two to a Glass of Water overnight & have it Next Morning,
- Wash-Scrub: Make a Mixture of “2-5 Grounded Flaxseed + 2-5 Tsp. Curd + 2-5 Tsp. Honey”; Mildly Scrub it on The Skin-Body, Let it be for 10-15 Minutes; Wash it off,
- Decoction or Infusion may be used as a Nasal/Ear Drops or for Enema…
Contra-Indications: This, as with anything else, should be taken in limited quantity. Note the following:
- In Excess May Vitiate Kapha & Pitta if taken in excess. Hence, in excess may give symptoms such as Constipation-Diarrhoea, Flatulence-Abdominal Distention, Nasal Bleeding-Menorrhagia-Ulcers…, Dry or Wet-Watering Eyes-Vision Loss, Libido (Sperm Count) Loss…,
- As regards Oil, do not take more than 10-15 mL or 2-3 Tsp. in a Day,
- Do Not Mix this with Chemical-Laden medicines. Keep a Difference of at last 60 Minutes,
- Pregnant, Lactating Women or Women trying to Conceive should avoid or consume only under supervision,
- While Consuming Flaxseed Seeds/Oil, Consume Extra Amount of Water, Such as
- Excess Consumption, with not enough water intake could even lead to Intestinal Inflammation-Blockage…
Legal Disclaimer: The information in this article is not a Medico-Legal advice. Use it at your own risk. Although I do my best to give you accurate and useful information, you should consult an appropriate Medical Professional before Trying out any of the above Information.