What Selenium Does? It is an essential mineral in our body, is a part of various Seleno-Proteins which are found in Cytosol (Aqueous Component of Cytoplasm of Cell) & Cell Membranes of the cells of Plasma, Gut, Liver & Colon. It is antagonistic to Arsenic, Mercury, Lead & Sulphur. Selenoproteins (Most abundant being Thioredoxin Reductase & Glutathione Peroxidase) are known to have Redox Activities. Selenium & Vitamin-E catalyse each other’s absorption in The Body. in Human Body, it concentrates mostly in Testicles & Seminal Ducts (Males, obviously have more need for this Mineral). It does following in the body:
- Works as an antioxidant in our body (Esp. with Vitamin-E (Mustard-Black sesame Oil) & Beta Carotene),
- Thyroid Functions,
- Our Immune System – Resists Various Ailments Including Cancers,
- Prevents built up of Bad Cholesterol (LDL-VLDL…) in the body,
- Skin, Nail & Hair Health,
- Alleviates Menopausal Distress,
- Nervous-Mental Health,
- Aids Glucose Metabolism in The Body,
- Detoxifies Poisonous Acetaldehydes, Chlorine, Formaldehydes, Hydrocarbons & Phenols.
Reasons for Shortage of Selenium: Alcoholism, Smoking, IBS, Contraceptive Pills, Side-Effects of Medicinal Drugs (Such as Chemo drugs)…
Selenium Deficiency may lead to:
- Various Cancers,
- Poor Bone-Joint Health,
- Heart Ailments – Worsening of Atherosclerosis,
- Mal-function of the Systems it is responsible for in the body (see above),
- HIV-AIDS, As HIV progresses- Selenium Levels seem to lower progressively in the body!
- Male Infertility (Bigger Infertility if we take it in excess!! Balance-Balance in Life is utmost essential – excess of any-Everything is bad!),
- Keshan Disease (heart Muscles gets Enlarged & Thickened) (Intake of <15-20 mcg/Day),
- Fatigue – Loss of Stamina.
People Living in Those Parts of World Where Soil is Rich in Selenium Seem to have much Lower Cases of Cancer!!
Rich Source of Selenium:
Plant Sources: Wheat Germ, Garlic, Whole Grains, Black Sesame Seeds-Oil, Mushrooms, Rye (Whole Grains), Asparagus, Spinach, Barley, Oats…
Herbs & Spices: Fennel Seeds (सौंफ), Aloe Vera, Alfalfa, Saffron.
Fruit Sources: Brazil Nuts, Cashew Nuts,
Animal Sources: A2 Ghee, A2 Milk, A2 Butter Milk, Gaudhan Ark, Fish, Eggs (Egg Yolk), Other Poultry, Oysters, Crab, Turkey,
Selenium, Like Many Other Nutrients, Get Destroyed when We Process or Refine The Foods!!
Daily Recommended Values:
Adults: 50 – 150 mcg/Day.
Contra-Indications: Anything above 150 mcg/day over prolonged periods could be life threatening-Highly Toxic to Human Body! (Hmm 50 Litres of Water/Day is also Life Threatening!)